I first made this dish over year ago and it was such a big hit with my family I knew I had to remake it and repost it for all of you to check out. I originally found this recipe on eatcakefordinner.net which is one of my favorite cooking blogs. Everyone check it out if you can.
- 2 cups of Cooked Shredded Chicken (Rotisserie fine)
- 1 Tablespoon of Taco Seasoning, or to taste
- 3/4 cup of Sour Cream
- 1 Roasted Red Pepper, chopped
- 2 Tablespoon of Chopped Cilantro, plus more for garnish
- 1 Tablespoon of Chopped Green Onions, plus more for garnish
- 1 Large Tomato, diced
- 2 cups of Monterey or PepperJack Cheese
- 18 Jumbo Pasta Shells, cooked
- 3 Tablespoons of Unsalted Butter
- 3-4 Tablespoons of Flour
- 1 (14.5 oz) can of Low-Sodium Chicken Broth
- 1/3 cup of Green Salsa
- 1/4 cup of Sour Cream
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium bowl, combine shredded chicken, taco seasoning, sour cream, chopped red pepper, 2 Tablespoons chopped cilantro, 1 Tablespoon chopped green onion, 1/2 of the diced tomato and 1 cup of grated cheese. Divide filling between the cooked jumbo shells and place in a greased 8×8-inch casserole dish; set aside.
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, melt the butter. Whisk in the flour, one Tablespoon at a time, until a thick paste forms. Cook for two minutes, stirring occasionally. Gradually whisk in the chicken broth and continue whisking until smooth and sauce reaches desired creamy thickness. Stir in the green salsa and sour cream. Pour sauce over stuffed shells. Top with remaining cheese.
Bake for 20 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly. Broil for a few minutes until cheese is browned. Garnish with additional chopped cilantro, chopped green onions and remaining chopped tomato. Serves: 3-4, depending on how many shells each person can eat.(pictures courtesy of eatcakefordinner.net)