Tis the season to be sick!!!
I’ve been looking into home flu remedies for my kid recently because let’s face it, being sick is miserable. We’ve all been there; body aches, sore throats, congestion – yuck! I’ve found a handful of ways to help get better faster that I will be keeping close by during flu season.
Here are some cold and flu remedies you can try at home to try to ease the pain and reduce the time you and your kids are sick.
At Home Cold and Flu Remedies
1. Don’t treat the fever. According to the American Academy of Pediatrics, you should not try to reduce your child’s fever unless it is at a dangerous degree. “If you lower the fever, you may be affecting the body’s ability to respond to that infection.” Let the fever do what it was designed to do which is to trigger the body’s production of infection-fighting white blood cells. Discuss this with your doctor for specific guidelines for your child.
3. Flu Fighter Cookies. These cookies from The Food Network sneak in some flu-fighting ingredients like cinnamon, cloves and ginger.
4. Cold & Flu Smoothie. Fight that cold with this green smoothie recipe full of kale, pineapple, bananas and coconut from Young and Raw.
6. Headache Relief Pressure Point. If you are suffering from a headache, try this pressure point treatment from How Does She.
7. Stay hydrated. If you are running a fever you can get dehydrated very quickly. Make sure you keep your kids drinking by offering them their favorite juice or sports drink. If they refuse, you can try and make it fun by offering them popsicles instead.
9. DIY Chest Rub. Make your own vapor rub to help with congestion. This recipe from Mommypotamus uses only natural ingredients like beeswax and coconut oil and leaves out the petrolatum and turpentine you will find in many store brands.
10. Wellness Shots. Get a boost of celery, apple, lemon, ginger root and cayenne pepper to help boost your immune system while you’re feeling sick. Make these small juice shots from Lexie’s Kitchen.
11. Decongesting Wax Bars. Make your own Scentsty-like wax bars to put in your candle warmers to fill the air with eucalyptus, peppermint and rosemary. From Steph Makes Stuff.
12. Detox Bath. This recipe for a kids detox bath from The Paleo Mom helps reduce the toxins inside their body and strengthens their immune system.
Lastly, here are seven tips to help you avoid getting the flu in the first place!